4/26/2012

Twitter, BFI and Cassavetes





To continue with my jump over to film blogging this month I would like to mention an incident that happened via Twitter this week.


The BFI (British Film Institute) were running a Twitter-based competition on the original American indie-director John Cassavetes.  Cassavetes was someone who I studied in great detail when studying so it was all but necessary for me to reply to the BFI's tweet, which asked anyone to mention their favourite Cassavetes film.


I responded with Shadows and a short snippet about why I loved it.  In fact, Shadows was the first film that I had ever written a published essay on.  I was in the second year of my BA, studying Modernist Cinema, and had written an essay on the use of music in the films of Cassavetes and Visconti.  The printed essay was shorter and only focused on the use of music and Cassavetes' Shadows.

The essay can be read here.

Cassavetes on Cassavetes was the prize. Excellent.

Also, the BFI are releasing all of Cassavetes' films on Blu-Ray.

What is really fantastic about this little story is that I am still quite new to Twitter, so I must be doing something right!  Find me here.

-PM


No comments: