11/16/2010

"When you have to shoot: shoot! Don't Talk"

Challenge 7: '"When you have to shoot: shoot! Don't Talk" - Il Brutto
Make a picture containing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' - Jens Olof Lasthein


Taken as part of the Street Photography Now challenge.For more info:streetphotographynowproject.wordpress.com/

This was a very open challenge. And, based on the majority of responses posted in the pool thus far, I can see that most people opted for the more obvious interpretation: framing an image to contain three figures to represent the 'good', 'bad' and 'ugly'. And, to be honest, I was tempted to do the same. I also thought about taking the cinematography of Leone's film and applying that to street photography (wide framing, close-ups of eyes, or the fantastic of 'Triangle of Trust' from the film's conclusion).


In the end I decided to take Il Brutto's words to heart and photographed without asking or talking to anyone, which was quite odd. My thinking was to walk constantly and photograph as I went. So, this photography was more invasive and intrusive than my normal street photography, which can be highly sociable and interactive. As a result my style was based more on the work of Bruce Gilden or Mark Cohen than Jens Olof Lasthein, yet I still complied with his challenge.

No comments: